Monday, March 9, 2009

What's for breakfast


Veggies in the morning, veggies in the evening
veggies at supper time
Veggies when I'm feeling sick
and veggies when I'm fine
Veggies in my pancakes
Veggies on my toast
I am the Queen of Veggies
Of that I can boast!
I never tire of finding new ways to get people loving their veggies and here's one way I've come up with that never fails to make people get up and dance.
This morning I looked in my fridge - the first thing that caught my eye was a bowl of brown rice left over from last night's dinner. I considered adding some almond milk and a few raisins to make a creamy rice porridge. However, my cookies caught my eye and I decided against having a sweet breakfast so I could indulge in a cookie with my late morning cup of tea.
So I raided my veggie drawer and found a nice colorful selection - a carrot, piece of kabocha squash and half a zucchini. I grated them and added a big pinch of sea salt, 1/2 tsp. of the lovely garam masala which my friend Tara gave me for Christmas - it's her Indian grandmother's secret recipe and it's always by my stove these days. To that I added 1/2 cup amaranth flour, 1/2 cup spelt flour about 2 Tbs. coconut flour and 1 tsp. baking powder. I felt like a little protein, so I separated an egg, added the yolk to the mix and beat the eggwhite till it was stiff. Then I added enough water to make a thick pancake batter and folded in the eggwhite. I cooked them in coconut oil, but you can use olive oil or ghee. To serve, I made a little sauce with vegannaise and minced parsley...oh yeah!

1 comment:

  1. sounds DELISH!!! I couldn't get my family to eat them though... one day I will get to cook just for ME!

    ReplyDelete