Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wouldn't you love to be a cat?

This pic of Marmalade, my neighbours lovely cat reminded me of an article I wrote for the magazine Kindred Spirit a couple of years ago, so thought I'd share it - if I get to choose, maybe in my next lifetime I'll be a cat!

I treasure those moments in life when I’m stopped in my tracks and reminded of the simplicity, beauty and magic of life. It’s easy to become so busy in our lives that we forget to look up and gaze at the stars or the full moon. I vividly remember one such moment, on a stressful day in New York, as I walked down Broadway, deeply immersed in my thoughts. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted two cats in a bookshop window - one was lying with all limbs outstretched being licked all over by the other one. I stood and stared, every fibre of my being wanting to be that cat, simply enjoying the pleasure of touch without any feeling of self-consciousness or embarrassment. A few days later, I was standing outside a health food store waiting to meet a friend. Beside me, there was a puppy tied on a leash while it’s owner shopped. Everyone who passed by acknowledged the puppy with a pat or words of admiration and the puppy respond appropriately with a wag of the tail or a lick on the hand. Nobody however even acknowledged my existence – who knows, maybe I bite!
Have you ever noticed if two human beings simply brush against each other in passing, it’s invariably followed by an apology. Or the discomfort of having to stand in a crowded place like on a train at rush hour, so close that you almost touch another human being. How much we all crave that sensual stimulation, yet it’s only allowed or considered appropriate when we’re well concealed, behind closed doors.
For me, eating has always been one of the most sensuous experiences in life. In childhood, when I had the liberty to choose between cornflakes or rice krispies for breakfast, it was always the snap, crackle and pop of the krispies that won my approval – just another element of sensual stimulation! I derive immense pleasure from the vast and wonderful array of foods that nature has gifted us with. The colours, tastes and textures delight and stimulate my creativity. I certainly don’t subscribe to the school of thought that says as long as it’s healthy, it doesn’t matter how it looks or tastes. To feel truly vital and healthy, I must have all of my senses awakened and satisfied. I love to touch my food as I cook (with impeccably clean hands of course!) and let all of my senses out to play so that I can combine textures, colours and flavours in a way that gives my food the most sensual appeal. This is my definition of “healthy cooking”.


We’re all born with a creative spark within us. In some this spark is encouraged and kindled from childhood onwards and in others it lies dormant. I encourage you to see time spent in the kitchen as an opportunity to let the child in you out to play.
I once got a phone call from a lady who was diagnosed with breast cancer and a nutritionist recommended that she try a macrobiotic diet. She asked me if I could come and teach her to cook the foods. Her first words to me were “Look, I’m not a cook, I’m a singer. I don’t know how to cook, I don’t like cooking, but I’ve got to do it to survive, so show me how”. My first piece of advice to her was to forget those judgements – “I can’t” , “I don’t know how”. We went on to spend several hours playing in her kitchen and at the end had a lovely array of colorful and delicious meals. She left a message on my answering machine later that evening, thanking me from the bottom of her heart for all the fun she’d had that day. She was now excited about cooking and never realised it could be so much fun, with the added benefit that she felt absolutely wonderful when she ate the food.
So maybe we do have one up on the cats and dogs of the world – they can eat, but can they cook?

Bon appetite!
Aine

No comments:

Post a Comment